Thursday, September 14, 2017

Coyotes and other creatures of the night

I live in north Tucson very near the Catalina range. I am used to hearing packs of coyotes go by in the night, their yips and strange high-[itched calls making me glad to live here. This year they've been strangely silent. It is September and it's been at least two months since I've heard even one yip, even in the far distance. The raise their young in the spring and there is usually a gap in there before they start roaming again. I spoke with a wildlife biologist who works for fish and game and she had no explanation--she hasn't heard of any disease or any reason why they wouldn't be around. She did say they are hunted. I knew that but I certainly wouldn't think the hunting would wipe out entire populations! And I have to say that hunting coyotes seems despicable to me on several levels--for one it has nothing to do with food--the carcasses are surely left to rot, and two, they are an important part of our environment keeping other rodents down with their own hunting. I miss them terribly and have even thought of moving if they don't come back. It hurts me to realize how fragile our environment is now and how so few seem conscious of this, including fish and game who condone hunting these beautiful animals.

Add to this the discovery that the vet I've been taking my animals to for five years finds bats 'annoying', and sprayed two roosting bats with insecticide. His name is Dr. Nunn and he works at Suffolk Hills Animal clinic. Please boycott him if you are one of his clients. I have placed a one star review on Yelp and am in process of looking for another vet who cares about life in the desert, no mater how 'annoying' it might be. I happen to refill my hummingbird feeders every morning to accommodate these creatures of the night who come up from Mexico in late summer. They are endangered fruit bats and I am willing to share some sugar water to know that they are here. My hummingbirds don't mind sharing. As several people have said, doesn't this vet know how important bats are to the environment?

If anyone can shed some light on where the coyotes have gone please email me at nikkibroadwell@comcast.net, or leave a comment here. I am missing them terribly!

3 comments:

  1. hello checking to see if I can leave a comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the coyotes near your home have expanded their territory or temporarily moved in search of water. Coyotes are still roaming around where I live (near Sun City and a couple of golf courses). I heard them yipping at 2:00 am two nights ago. Today, a juvenile crossed the road in front of me across four lanes of traffic on Rancho Vistoso Blvd - the third time in two months. In summer, I see them near water sources, drinking from sprinkler-sprays or licking runoffs from watered lawns. I do hope they return to you - Catalinas are their home. Chai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chai--we do have a bowl of water we keep filled for them and any other wildlife that needs it--I hope you're right! glad to hear they are around you!

      Delete